We've all experienced the frustration of missing socks. Foolishly, perhaps, we usually attribute their disappearance to the clothes dryer having "eaten" them. But maybe we should be pointing our fingers elsewhere, like toward our four-footed, furry friends. USA Today reports:
Chomping down on 43 1/2 socks was enough to make one 3-year-old Great Dane pretty sick. After vomiting and retching during the day, abdominal radiographs revealed "a severely distended stomach and a large quantity of foreign material," according to Veterinary Practice News.
During surgery performed by a ... veterinarian in Portland, Ore., the socks were removed. The dog was sent home one day after surgery.
When Dr. Ashley Magee at the Animal Hospital opened the dogs stomach, she told KGW-TV, they "kept removing sock after sock of all different shapes and sizes."
The Dane, who had a history of sock snitching, has been in for follow-up check-ups and is so far doing fine. Needless to say, the Dane's "people" are keeping a watchful eye to see that he doesn't return to his former ways.
43 1/2 socks! Makes you wonder what happened to the other 1/2 of that 44th one. Maybe he just couldn't choke it down.
It just goes to show, we all have our limits. If that's true of socks, you better believe it's true of sins. We may seem to tolerate them well enough for a while, but watch out for that 44th one. Eventually our transgressions catch up to us, and when they do, there we are retching and vomiting all over everything.
"As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly" (Proverbs 26:11).