Object Lesson/Game: Growing to Be More Like Jesus
1. Begin with a discussion about our earthly father vs. our heavenly father. Our earthly father is the father of our physical bodies, Heavenly Father is the father of our spirits.
2. What are some ways that you are like your earthly father (physical attributes, personality traits, talents, etc)?
3. Can you become like your heavenly father? YES!!! How? BY READING THE BIBLE, PRAYING, COMING TO CHURCH, LEARNING GOD’S WORD, ETC.
4. Show the children a balloon and explain that just like a balloon grows with each breath of air, we can also grow and expand spiritually as we learn about God and follow his ways.
5. How does the balloon change as you blow into it? IT GETS BIGGER; IT LOOKS PRETTIER, YOU CAN PLAY WITH IT NOW; ETC.
6. Explain that one of the ways we allow our heavenly father to help us grow is by memorizing Scripture. Review our two Bible verses: John 3:16 & Romans 10:13.
7. Play a game with the kids – Tell the children that when the music starts, they are going to work together to keep the balloon in the air. When the music stops, the child (children) with the balloon(s) will practice saying one of the verses. You can use 2 or 3 balloons so that many kids get a turn. Play several rounds as time allows.
To wrap things up – remind children that even though we might look and even act like our earthly father, as Christians, our job is to become more like our heavenly father. Pray that God would fill us with his love so we can become more like him.
"... until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:13).
And here is a snack idea to reinforce the lesson …..
- Ziplock bags
- Containers on each table of the following:
• Sour Patch Kids – Represents the kids (a little sweet, a little sour)
• Raisins – Our grandparents, teachers, etc (older and wiser, and maybe even wrinkly)
• Pretzels – Our earthly parents (wrap their arms around us, loving, filling)
• M&M’s – God’s influence on our lives (sweetness, makes everything else worthwhile, brings color)
1. Remind children that they are a child of God and because of that, their life can be sweeter and more satisfying. Tell the kids that today they are going to make a special trail mix to show all the people and things in their life that help make it wonderful.
2. Pass out a ziplock bag to each child.
3. Explain each part of the snack before the child is allowed to add it to their bag, going through each element one by one.
4. Pray and pass out water. Enjoy a yummy treat!